About Hickory Center Elementary
Hickory Center is a caring community where all students are included in classrooms that promote mutual respect and meaningful content in an enriched learning environment. All staff, students and parents at Hickory Center have a place in the puzzle of educating our children to become productive citizens in a democracy.
TREAT PEOPLE RIGHT and DO THE RIGHT THING
BRAIN COMPATIBLE SCHOOL
- ABSENCE OF THREAT:An environment absent of threat is safe for students. This can be accomplished by modeling the Lifelong Guidelines and Lifeskills. Procedures and agendas are used daily.
- COLLABORATION:Collaboration and cooperation based on mutual respect replaces control. It is important to understand and teach the process of group development: inclusion, influence, and community.
- ENRICHED ENVIRONMENT:Resources and Study Trips - First hand learning experiences are provided. An enriched classroom is immersed in what is being learned. An orderly classroom helps students feel organized.
- ADEQUATE TIME:What is the best use of your time? - Adequate time is given to process information. Time is given to teach different patterns of input that help create programs of learning. (Quality not Quantity)
- CHOICES:Eight Intelligence's - Bloom's Taxonomy - Science Behaviors - Teachers have choices in how they teach skills and knowledge to meet each learner's needs. Students have choices to show what they have learned through different assessment techniques by using inquiries.
- MEANINGFUL CONTENT:Creative - Useful - Emotional - Learning is meaningful when skills and content are connected through real world situations.
- IMMEDIATE FEEDBACK:Feedback, accurate and immediate, is needed at the time the learners building his/her mental program in order to ensure that the program is accurate. Unlearning something incorrectly stored in the brain is more difficult than learning it right the first time.
- MASTERY:Three criteria determine mastery: complete correct and comprehensive. Authentic assessment is used to show that students understand how to apply what they have learned to the real world.
Four Star School